It’s August, and September is right around the corner—the start of school for many, the beginning of fall, and “Library Card Sign-up Month” at libraries across the country. Today, libraries are so much more than just a book lending location—they are technology innovators, masters of programming, art exhibitors, business and nonprofit resource centers, and community conveners.
Over the last year through the support of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, PBS Books launched a nationwide Library Engagement program with more than 1,300 participants. In preparation of the program development, PBS Books surveyed nearly 1,000 librarians from 44 states to determine what US libraries most wanted and needed. The results were clear: libraries wanted a partner who could highlight the innovative and unique things happening in libraries and share it nationwide.
In response, PBS Books developed the PBS Books Library Showcase and partnered with six libraries to highlight aspects of these exemplary libraries. Working in collaboration with their local PBS station, PBS Books produced nine videos to illustrate the unique things available at libraries and the phenomenal work they are doing in their communities. The PBS Books Library Showcase highlights:
- Middle Georgia Regional Library’s BANC (Business And Nonprofit Center) in Macon, GA – August 15, 2019
- Saint Paul Public Library’s Innovation Lab in St. Paul, MN – August 16, 2019
- Akron-Summit Public Library’s Tech Zone in Akron, OH – August 19, 2019
- Free Library of Philadelphia’s Culinary Literacy Center in Philadelphia, PA – August 20, 2019
- Miami-Dade Public Library’s Main Building and Amazing Art in Miami, FL – August 21, 2019
- Detroit Public Library’s Art and Cultural Gathering Place in Detroit, MI – August 22, 2019
- Akron-Summit Public Library’s Art Lending Program in Akron, OH – August 23, 2019
- Saint Paul Public Library’s Drag Story Hour in St. Paul, MN – August 26, 2019
- Detroit Public Library’s Detroit Reads in Detroit, MI – August 27, 2019
The PBS Books Library Showcase video series will be released every business day starting on Thursday, August 15, 2019 at noon on PBS Books social media accounts and PBS Books newly re-designed website. Tune in each day at noon to learn about an amazing library. If your local library has a similar program or related resource to the daily Library Showcase, then post a photo and a comment about the innovative program at your library on our social site. We can’t wait to hear more about the important work libraries are doing across the country! If your library offers something completely different and you think the world should know, post that on Thursday, August 28. Maybe your library will be the next library to be included in the PBS Books Library Showcase. #innovativelibraries @PBSBooks